Policy reflects Minnesota statute and aligns with other District 270 policies.
It is the policy of Hopkins Area Schools to provide a safe and healthy environment for its staff and students. Safety and health protection will be an integral part of all operations.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
A. The District will establish a Workplace Accident and Injury Reduction (AWAIR) program with the following goals:
1. Promote employee involvement in safety and health;
2. Reduce the number of lost time injuries at each school’ and
3. Comply with occupational safety and health regulations.
B. The District will implement a Health and Safety Program that includes plans and procedures to protect employees, students and visitors. Planning will include a one-year budget and second year forecast approved annually by the school board. The objectives of the Health and Safety Program will be to:
1. Assign responsibilities for implementing and maintaining the program;
2. Establish joint a labor / management safety committees;
3. Establish procedures for identifying, analyzing, and controlling hazards;
4. Establish procedures for communicating hazards and controls to employees;
5. Where required by law, regulation or best practice, establish periodic health and safety inspections;
6. Establish procedures for investigating accidents and near misses to prevent reoccurrence;
7. Establish procedures for training employees on safe work practices;
8. Establish procedures for enforcement of workplace safety rules; and
9. Establish procedures for maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local requirements.
C. The District will develop a Crisis Management Plan in consultation with local emergency response agencies that addresses prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery from a crisis. The Crisis Management Plan and accompanying program are governed by policy, District Code: 806 Crisis Management Plan.
Adopted: May 2012
Revised: September 26, 2013
Reviewed: April 3, 2018