Policy reflects Minnesota statute and aligns with other District 270 policies.
As a result of reduction in staff, least senior teachers may be involuntarily assigned to part-time positions. The District's subsequent and continuing contractual obligation to those so assigned will be reappointment to full-time when and if conditions permit.
Due to limited registrations, number of students served, or other extenuating circumstances, additional part-time positions may exist. Applicants accept these positions with knowledge that these are not a guarantee of present or future full-time employment.
Teachers may also request part-time positions. Requests are to be directed to building principals in writing and approval will be at the discretion of the Board of Education. The District's subsequent and continuing contractual obligation to those approved for voluntary reduction to part-time positions shall be:
1. equal to no more than the fractional size of the elected assignment if the part-time election was not accompanied by an approved leave of absence equal to the difference between the part-time assignment and 1.0, or;
2. a full-time assignment if the part-time election was accompanied by an approved leave of absence equal to the difference between the part-time assignment and 1.0.
Whether appointed or elected, teachers who are awarded part-time assignments:
1. will observe duty days on a basis of part days, alternate days, alternate weeks, alternate quarters or semesters, or such other basis of reasonable alternation as is determined by the principal and approved by the assistant to the superintendent
2. will be compensated at a prorated salary and will earn prorated benefits in proportion directly equal to the fractional size of their assignments.
3. will observe duty hours which bear no less than the same fractional relationship to eight hours as their part-time assignments bear to full time
4. may be assigned class sections or direct student contact time in direct fractional proportion to the daily total of in-class minutes assigned to full-time teachers, including time when students may be under supervision of a specialist
5. may be assigned extra supervisory responsibilities during the duty day in direct fractional proportion to the similar duties of a full-time teacher.
Specific conditions apply for conferences, building events, and professional development:
Part-time teachers and their building principals will, by the beginning of each school year, meet to arrange and express in writing the extent of requirements for attendance at and participation in workshops, in-service days, department meetings, administrative meetings, evening activities such as Open House and P.T.O., curriculum meetings, staff planning meetings, parent conferences, etc. The Special Services supervisor will be included in the arrangement of schedules for part-time Special Service teachers.
Teachers who are granted part-time leave assignments will provide full-time parent conference time with no additional compensation.
Teachers who are awarded part-time assignments will provide full-time parent conferences at the request of the building principal and will receive additional compensation at the Teacher hourly rate.
Other building activities, events, and professional development will be scheduled between the building principal and the Teacher. Teachers will be required to attend the assigned building activities, events, and professional development and will receive additional compensation at the Teacher hourly rate for building activities, events, and professional development that is beyond the part-time assignment pro-rated responsibility. Such arrangements will protect the District from increased costs resulting from the part-time assignment but will provide that time demanded of any part-time teacher will be proportionate to the demand of a full-time teacher.
Adopted: January 20, 1983
Revised: May 9, 1985, March 6, 2018
Reviewed: February 20, 2014