At its June 6 meeting, the Hopkins School Board unanimously approved a modified version of the 2018-19 school year calendar. We want to make you aware of these changes as they will impact the upcoming school year.
In the fall of 2017, Hopkins Public Schools surveyed all families regarding school engagement, communication, and overall parent satisfaction. In response to those survey results, a task force representing elementary and secondary leadership, teachers and staff, as well as District administration assembled to begin implementing changes that would:
- strengthen the relationship between students and school,
- allow more opportunities to celebrate students' accomplishments,
- host conferences earlier for elementary families,
- reduce arena-style conferences at the secondary level, and
- reduce the number of short weeks.
Below we have listed the dates that have changed for the elementary and secondary calendar. In addition, we have updated the Google calendars online. If you subscribe to these calendars, they should automatically update. You can also view a list of the updated calendar dates as well as download and print an updated calendar.
The changes for elementary families are the following:
- There will be no school during the week of Oct. 15*. (This is the week that MEA is held.)
- School will be in session on Nov. 1 and 2.
- School will be in session on Dec. 7.
- There will be no school on Feb. 14 and 15*.
- School will be in session on March 21 and 22.
- All other aspects of the 2018-19 calendar remain the same.
*The District is currently exploring childcare options for families that may need care in October and February.
The changes for secondary families are the following:
- The first day of school for grades 7 and 10 is Sept. 4.
- The first day of school for grades 8, 9, 11, and 12 is Sept. 5.
- There will be no school for grades 7-12 on Feb. 21.
- There will be no school for grades 7-9 on Feb. 22.
- School will be in session on March 21.
- On March 22 there will be school for junior high students, but not for senior high students.
- There will be no school for all secondary students on May 3
All other aspects of the 2018-19 calendar remain the same.