Hopkins staff may request professional interpreters for parent conferences, meetings, diagnostic testing, and other needs. Please use the Interpreter Request form to schedule an interpreter.
Three-way phone interpretation is available from any phone for brief conversations (under 10 minutes). Use this resource if our Cultural Communications Liaisons are not available, or if an interpreter is needed for another language. Receive your building's access code and calling instructions from your administrative assistant.
Easy steps to use TeleLanguage for a 3-way phone call using an interpreter:
- Ask your administrative assistant for your building's TeleLanguage access number.
- Dial TeleLanguage - 1-800-514-9237 (if using a school phone, first dial 9 for an outside line).
- You will be asked for your name, Hopkins Schools/your building and access number.
- You will be asked for the language you need an interpreter for.
- When you are connected with the interpreter, briefly explain the reason for your call, and give the interpreter the name and phone number to call.
- When the person answers the phone, begin your conversation as usual: "Hello, this is (your name) from (school)."
- Pause after each sentence for the interpreter to translate your comments.
- Listen to the person's response and your interpreter's translation for you.
- After you've said good bye to the person you've called, tell the interpreter that this is the end of your call.
Cultural Communication Liaisons
Contact our Spanish, Somali, or Hmong Liaison for assistance in building strong home and school partnerships.
Spanish: Elisa Dorfman, email, 952.988.4211 or 612.282.2728
Somali: John Hassan, email, 952.988.4334 or 612.221.0148
Hmong: Maikhou Vang, email, 612.282.2632
Please contact our Interpreter and Translation Coordinator:
Barb Westmoreland, email, 952.988.4069