Juntos Spanish Immersion is Hopkins Public Schools’ secondary (grades 7-12) Spanish immersion continuation program that brings together Spanish immersion students and heritage Spanish speakers who want to develop high-level academic Spanish in a variety of subject areas and deepen their understanding of Spanish-speaking cultures.
The Juntos program begins at Hopkins North Junior High, an IB (International Baccalaureate) World School. We welcome students who have completed an elementary Spanish immersion program, heritage Spanish speakers from all Hopkins elementary schools, and qualified students who would like to open-enroll into our District.
Juntos students take a rich array of courses in Spanish as part of our IB Middle Years Programme: Spanish literature and language, and science, physical education and wellness courses taught in Spanish. The Juntos program continues at Hopkins High School in grades 10-12, where students take college-level Spanish language and literature courses that can earn college credi
Advantages of Juntos Spanish Immersion
- North Junior High is an IB (International Baccalaureate) World School. Juntos Spanish Immersion is a natural complement to the IB curriculum, which emphasizes global perspectives and has language acquisition as one of its required areas of learning.
- Juntos is uniquely designed for both heritage Spanish speakers and students who have completed an elementary immersion program to learn from one another as they develop a high level of biliteracy in Spanish and English. Developing literacy skills in two languages simultaneously strengthens proficiency in both languages.
- Juntos students have the opportunity to take AP (Advanced Placement) Spanish Language and Culture in grade 9, which opens doors to other AP, honors, and college-level courses in high school.
- The Juntos program sets itself apart from other programs by offering Spanish immersion science courses in grades 7-9, providing students with medical terminology and technical vocabulary that may be valuable in future careers.
- Juntos students in grades 7-9 round out their immersion experience with physical education and wellness courses taught in Spanish. These courses give students the opportunity to develop not only academic language skills, but also high-level social language, a skill set often overlooked in immersion programs.
- Hopkins High School offers College in the Schools courses in Spanish through the University of Minnesota and AP Spanish Literature for Juntos students, all of which can earn college credit.
See Juntos in Action
Learn More About Juntos
If you would like to schedule a tour or enroll in Juntos, please call 952-988-4805.